Here are the nutritional principles that guided us in the making of Picky Bars. If you would rather just say, "Mmmm, these are good!" don't worry about it. But if you are a nutrition geek, read on. This is a look at our original guidelines that we miraculously managed to stick to.
Picky Bars will:
- Be what we consider "ideal size:" 200 calories or less. Great size for <30min post-workout recovery, one hour before exercise (or cut in half for 20-30 min before), or the perfect snack size between meals.)
- Have a 4:1 carbohydrate/protein ratio that is ideal for recovery and maximizes absorption of nutrients.
- Be gluten and dairy free (for the sake of those with intolerances, or for people who just want variety in their diet)
- Have balanced macro-nutrients (25% fat, 60% carbohydrate, 15% protein) for hunger control and happy digestion.
- Select carbohydrate sources that promote level blood sugar, sustained energy, and nutrient absorption.
- Use whole foods that are geographically nearby whenever we can.
- Minimize soy content (less than 1%) since most people get too much of it daily without realizing it.
- Provide a mixture of nuts and seeds for nutrient diversity (e.g. cashews are good for vitamin K while almonds are high in vitamin E).